Why Retire in Charleston SC area?
Charleston is the oldest city in all of South Carolina founded in 1670. It embodies Southern charm, richly preserved history, beauty and a relaxed coastal vibe.
Condé Nast ranks Charleston as the friendliest city in the country. Travel & Leisure named it one of the world’s best cities in 2019, higher than any other U.S. city. There’s no debate that Charleston is the premier retirement spot in South Carolina. Its creative culture, friendly residents and rich history make for the perfect destination for retirees.
Let’s explore 8 top reasons why people enjoy their golden years in the Charleston, SC area:
1. Tax Benefits
- Zero state Social Security tax
- $15,000 taxable income deduction for seniors receiving any other type of retirement income.
- The state has some of the lowest property taxes in the country for primary homes. Homeowners at age 65 are exempt from property tax on the first $50,000 of the value of their legal residence, once they apply for the Homestead Exemption at their local county office.
2. Wonderful, Warm Weather
Tired of the cold or be stuck inside due to lousy weather? Many people enjoy the Charleston area’s subtropical climate allowing them to enjoy many days of sunshine and being outdoors! Snowfall is extremely rare around here.
There are hurricanes to consider. Local news and officials notify residents well in advance and provide detail instructions.
3. Healing Powers of the Ocean
Science proves that living by the ocean is beneficial for your overall health and well-being. Find your Zen at a choice of different islands and beaches in the Charleston area!
- Sullivan Island
- Isle of Palm
- Kiawah and Seabrook Islands
- Folley Beach
4. Health and Wellness
Healthcare is an important consideration for retirees looking for preventative care and ongoing treatment.
Charleston area offers:
- Physicians – Medicare.gov has a useful tool that allows you to search for specific providers and specialist who accept Medicare payments.
- Multiple hospitals – Almost anywhere you live in Charleston there is a hospital nearby.
- Fitness Centers – Keeping active is a great way to promote well being and quality of life. This site, ICAA, has a good tool for searching for age-friendly locations in and around Charleston.
- Senior Centers – Charleston SC gov website list a couple of the Senior Centers around Charleston area.
- Senior Living Communities – There are many Senior Living Communities common around the Charleston SC area offering different levels and lifestyles from independent living to assisted living communities.
5. Endless Activities
When you retire in Charleston, retirees can partake in an active lifestyle with the area’s beautiful weather and abundance of activities.
- Kayaking and paddle boarding
- Walking many of the well-maintained trails
- Bird watching
6. Food and Drink
So many options from casual to gourmet food and bars. Savor seafood, southern style food, oyster roast and cuisines from around the world.
Enjoy drinking with friend and meeting new people at casual, scenic Shem Creek bars, the trendy rooftop bars, local breweries to dive bars.
Enjoy strolling around the shops of downtown Charleston to big shopping malls.
- Shops on Kings Street downtown Charleston
- Historic Charleston City Market
- Mount Pleasant Towne Centre
- Tanger Outlet Center
- Northwoods Mall
- Freshfields Village
8. Arts and Entertainment
- Historic Landmarks
- Movie Theaters
There are many reasons to retire in Charleston and its surrounding areas, such as warm weather, generous tax exemptions, and an unbeatable atmosphere.
If you decided that retiring in Charleston is right for you, the next step is figuring out what neighborhoods are a good match. This is where an experienced, local realtor can help assist you in zeroing in on the right neighborhood and home for your criteria.
Learn more. Call me, Jon Stroud: (843) 343-7844